Environmental Permitting

To operate a regulated installation you must have an Environmental Permit issued by Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council.

A regulated installation includes Part A2 and Part B installations regulated by the Council and Part A1 installations regulated by the Environment Agency.

Part A2 and Part B listed activities include:
  • Energy combustion, gasification and liquefaction activities
  • Metals foundries, processing and treatment of metals
  • Minerals the storage of bulk cement, crushing and screening of minerals
  • Chemicals the storage of chemicals in bulk
  • Waste the incineration of waste
  • Solvents the use of solvents
  • Other the manufacture and treatment of timber products, coating, printing.
Why Permits are required
Part A1 and Part A2 permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:
  • Emissions to air, land and water
  • Energy efficiency
  • Waste reduction
  • Raw materials consumption
  • Noise, vibration and heat
  • Accident prevention
Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

How to get an Environmental Permit
Permits are available from the Environment Agency or Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within.

Permits for Part A2 and Part B installations are available on-line or you can contact us using the details below and we will send you an application form.

Permits for A1 installations are available from the GOV.UK website https://www.gov.uk/environmental-permit-how-to-apply/overview
The Part A1 activities for which the Environment Agency are responsible for regulating are for the following activities:
  • Waste operations carried out at Part B installations
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation with a Part A or Part B mobile plant
  • Mining waste operations
Eligibility Criteria
Applications must be made on the form provided by ourselves (including online) and must include the specified information, which will vary depending on the activity.

If further information is required the applicant will be notified by ourselves and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Application Evaluation Process
Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council must have regard to the following when considering an application for an A2 or Part B permit:
  • Protection of the environment taken as a whole by preventing, or where that is not practicable, reducing emissions to air, land and water
  • The application has been made by the operator of the regulated installation
  • Consultation with members of the public and other interested parties
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days of making an application please contact us using the contact details below.

Fees associated with Environmental Permits are set annually by DEFRA using the link below:

Apply Online
We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via email.

Apply for an A2 Environmental Permit
Apply for a B Environmental Permit
Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances
Annual subsistence charge

Download an Application Form
If you would prefer to download an application form, please download the document below and return it to us using the contact details below.

Failed Application Redress
Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision. Completed appeals should be made to:

The Planning Inspectorate
Registry / Scanning Room 3/01 Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay

Permit Holder Redress
Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below if you have any grievance concerning your Permit.

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an Environmental Permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the Environmental Permit they may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

To view the latest Register of Part A2 and Part B permitted processes please click here for further details.

Contact Details

Environmental Protection Team
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Redcar & Cleveland House
Kirkleatham Street
TS10 1RT

Tel: 01642 774774
Email: ep.publicregister@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk

* Link will open in a pop-up window
† Link leads to a website which is not under our control. We are not responsible for the content of any linked site. The link opens in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search