High Hedge complaints

Part 8 of the Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003, gave Local Authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges, and came into force on 1 June 2005. Since then, provided you have tried mediation and exhausted all other possibilities for resolving your hedge dispute, you are able to apply to the Council for them to consider the complaint.

Contacting the Local Planning Authority (LPA) should be seen as a last resort where all other means of negotiation have been unsuccessful. The LPA cannot negoiate with either party or mediate between the parties. Instead, it has to decide whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property. In doing so, the LPA will carry out an assessment of the hedge, its height, its position in relation to the complainant's property, orientation, etc, in line with the criteria set out in the legislation.

Please note:
  • There is a fee of £350.00 which will need to be submitted with the complaint. The complaint will not be processed without the correct fee.
  • Details of the attempts to resolve the dispute will need to accompany any application/complaint.
  • The legislation does not require all hedges to be cut down to 2 metres above ground level.
  • The legislation does not cover single coniferous trees or deciduous trees.
  • The legislation does not guarantee access to uninterupted light.
  • The LPA cannot order the complete removal of the hedge.
  • You do not need permission to grow your hedge to over 2 metres in height.

ODPM leaflet: High Hedges - Complaining to the Council:

 icon High_hedges-Complaining_to_the_council.pdf (394.86k)
Last modified: 21/02/2008 11:14:00

Application form and guidance notes:

 icon Hedges_Form.pdf (35.09k)
Last modified: 20/05/2014 12:28:51

 icon Hedges_Guidance_Notes.pdf (64.35k)
Last modified: 06/04/2017 16:22:37

* Link will open in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Planning & Building

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
Planning Enforcement
Development Management Charter
Planning Permission
Planning Permission