Pavement Cafe

Licence Summary
A pavement cafe licence is required where any business wishes to put tables and chairs on a public highway. This allows Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council to manage pavement cafes to ensure they do not cause obstruction to pedestrians.

Regulation Summary
Highways Act 1980 section 115E

Application Evaluation Process
Applicants must apply to Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council for the proposed pavement cafe if it is located within Redcar and Cleveland.

All applications must be accompanied by:
  • The required fee
  • A plan of the premises
  • Operating schedule detailing proposed furniture, means of enclosure etc
  • Public liability insurance
  • Evidence of planning permission

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council will publish street notices for a period of not less than 28 days showing details of the application to allow anyone who may be affected by the operation of the pavement cafe to make representations.

The Pavement Cafe Policy can be viewed here.

A fee of £200 is payable on application for both a new application and to change an application.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

How to Apply
We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via email.

You have the option of applying online or by downloading an application form.

Online Application
Apply for a pavement cafe licence
Apply to change a pavement cafe licence

Failed Application Redress
Please contact the Licensing Team at Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council in the first instance using the contact details below.

If consent to operate a pavement cafe is unreasonably withheld it shall be referred to, and determined by, an arbitrator to be appointed, in default of agreement, by the President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.

Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Further Information
Highways Agency
Association of Town Centre Managers

Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices. Please click here for further details.

Contact Details


Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Neighbourhoods and Customer Services
Licensing & Parking
Redcar & Cleveland House
Kirkleatham Street
TS10 1RT Tel: 01642 774774


* Link will open in a pop-up window
† Link leads to a website which is not under our control. We are not responsible for the content of any linked site. The link opens in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search