About 'tell us once service' birth service

If you've just had a baby...we can help you tell the people who need to know.

When you have a new baby, there are lots of things that need to be done. One of these things is contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told about the birth. Until now, you had to contact all of them individually.

Were providing a service which can help you give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions. If you want they can then pass this information on to a number of other organisations.

How the service can help you
You often have to contact several government departments and parts of the local council to give them the same information about the birth. Its important that you do this as soon as possible as it may affect your entitlements, such as Child Benefit, Working Tax Credits or Child Tax Credits.

We want to make this easier for you, so if you want to use the service after registering the birth we will ask you some simple questions. This means that you wont have to send a copy of the birth certificate in the post as we will contact the organisations that need to know on your behalf.

How you can contact us to use the service
When you have had a baby you will need to register the birth first with the Registrar. You can make an appointment to see the Registrar and use the Tell Us Once service at the same time. To make an appointment please telephone Redcar Heart Register Office (01642) 444440.

Our office is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9.00am until 4.00pm, Tuesday 9.00am until 6.00pm and Thursday 9.00am until 12.30pm.

What happens to the information?
The following organisations can be contacted if you ask us to:
  • Local Councils
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Libraries
  • Electoral Services
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Childrens Services
  • Council Housing
  • Concessionary Travel
Department for Work and Pensions
  • Pensions and Benefit
HM Revenue & Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Taxation
H M Passport Office
  • Passport
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Driving Licence
Public Service Pension Scheme listed below
  • NHS (England and Wales) pensions, Scottish Public Pensions, (Teachers, NHS, Police or Fire), My Civil Service Pension, any Armed Forces Pension and/or Compensation Scheme administered by Veterans UK and/or any participating Local Government Pension Funds.
This list is subject to change and the most updated list is held on the Gov.uk bereavement website, (www.gov.uk/tell-us-once).

How we will treat the information you give us
The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update benefits, credits or help to start up services. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Information you will need to use this service
To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you and so that you get the most out of the service it will help if you can bring along with you the following information:
  • Birth Certificate (you may be registering the birth directly before you use this service)
  • A completed claim form for Child Benefit (if you are making a claim).
  • The person/s named on the birth registers National Insurance number/s and/or date of birth, address and telephone number.
  • Details of any benefits the person/s named on the birth register are receiving/have applied for
  • The partner of the person named on the birth register, (if they live in the same household) including their National Insurance number and/or date of birth and information about any benefits they may be receiving.
You will need to get the permission from these people to tell us about them before you use the service.

Additional services offered by Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
If you come and see an Advisor, they will also be able to help you find other information and organisations that can help you. Redcar & Cleveland Borough
Council will provide local details of additional services such as help in completing forms.

We provide a service to check the form to claim Child Benefit. If you would like us to check the form please bring along:
  • A completed Child Benefit Claim Form
  • The account number, sort code and address of your bank to be included on the child benefit form (if this is your first child).
This service is committed to ensuring your information is protected. Our privacy statement tells you how we will use and protect your information when you use this service. Ask if you wish to see the full privacy statement.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations that pay you a benefit/credit or provide a service to you has correct and up to date information about you.

If you require any further help or advice, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

The Register Office, Redcar & Cleveland Leisure and Community Heart, Ridley Street, Redcar. TS10 1TD
Telephone (01642) 444440
Email: registrars@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Births, Marriages & Deaths

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search