Pay for it - help

What you need to make a payment

  • Payment Type, such as Council Tax or Business Rates. You must select this from the list to the left of the payment page. The screen may change, depending on the information you must enter for each payment type.
  • Reference. See the list below of correct references to use for each payment type.
  • Amount to pay. Enter amount in pounds and pence, but without a pound sign. You must enter the pence even when they are zero. (Eg. £10 = 10.00).
  • Name and Address. Some Payment Types ask for your name and address so that your account details can be checked in case of mistyping. The process will also ask for the card holder's name and address. If both addresses are the same, you will only have to enter it once.
  • Card details. The council accepts most common card types, including VISA, Mastercard, Switch/Maestro, Solo, Delta and Electron. If your card does not have a start date, or an issue number, you can leave them blank.
You can pay for more than one item using a single card transaction. After entering each item, press Add to List, then select a new Payment Type or a new Reference and Amount. When you press Pay, you will make a single card payment for the total of all the items. (This does not apply to payments through the Parking Portal) .

Which reference you must use

  • Council Tax The account number, which starts with '3' and has 11 digits, or 10 digits and a final 'X'.
  • Benefit Overpayments The invoice number, which starts with '66' and has 9 digits.
  • Business Rates The account number, which starts with '5' and has 9 digits.
  • Council Invoice The Council issues invoices in two number ranges. More recent invoice numbers start with '44' and have 9 digits, while older invoice numbers begin with 1 or 3, and also have 9 digits. Select the correct choice from the list depending on which range your invoice is in. (DO NOT use the account number.)
  • Junk Jobs (Bulk Waste collection) The seven-digit case number given when the job was booked.
  • Domestic Bin Payment The seven-digit case number given when the bin was requested.
  • Allotment Rent The account number, which starts with '6' and has 7 digits, followed by a letter.
  • Blue Badge The eligible person's name.
  • Enforcement Fines (Fixed Penalty Notices) The four digit number on the penalty notice, followed immediately (no spaces) by your surname
  • Car Parking Permit The Permit number, which starts with two letters, followed by 8 digits. This will be supplied by the Parking Section.
  • Grave Maintenance The grave reference, which starts with two or more letters referring to the cemetery (eg ES = Eston), followed by various letters, numbers and punctuation.
  • Education Fines The Penalty Notice number, which looks like EW999/10-11.
  • Housing Advances (Council Mortgages) The account number, which start with 'L', followed by 5 digits.
  • Licensing The Licence number, which starts with three letters followed by four digits.
  • Parking Fine (paid through the Parking Payments portal) You will need the vehicle registration number as well as the Penalty Charge Notice number. The Parking Portal will check the amount outstanding.
  • Planning Permission This requires either the Planning Application reference provided by the Redcar & Cleveland Council Planning Office, which looks like R/9999/9999/AA; or the Planning Portal reference provided by the Planning Portal when their application is submitted online, which looks like PP- 99999999A9.
  • Building Regulations The building regulations reference number, which starts with R and will end with the suffix BR, BN or PC. The reference number can be supplied by the Building Control Section.
  • Building Regulations Regularisation The reference number, which starts with R and will end with the suffix RG. Reference numbers for building regulations applications can be obtained from the Building Control Section.
  • Food Hygiene Re-rating and Fixed Penalty Notices The reference starts with INU (for re-rating) or NOU (for penalties) followed by six digits, such as INU123456.

If you have problems making an online payment

This link will take you to a list of the commonest problems people have encountered while making payments, with advice on how to solve them.

If you would rather pay by a different route

Automated Telephone Payments Using a normal touchtone phone dial 01642 444000, and a series of recorded messages will guide you through making a payment using the Automated Telephone Payments system. This will accept payments for Council Tax, Invoices (each number range is a separate option), Business Rates, repayment of Overpaid Benefit, and Parking Fines.

Cash or Cheque Call the Contact Centre on 01642 774 774 during office hours, or e-mail, and give the type of payment and the reference, and we will email you a payment barcode. You can print this out and take it to any Post Office or PayPoint agent in the UK to make payments by cheque (Post Office only) or cash. If you prefer, we can send you the barcode by post. Please be aware that barcode payments may take up to three working days to reach the Council.

If you still have problems making a payment

If you have a problem with any of these payment methods, you can call the Contact Centre on 01642 774 774 during office hours, or e-mail

If you have a query about the amount you pay, or the services you receive, please contact the relevant council department directly using the details on your bill or invoice. Alternatively, you can call the Contact Centre on 01642 774 774 during office hours, or e-mail

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
Pay for it
Internet Payments - Help with Payments
Pay for it
Pay for it