Provision of Vehicle Crossing

Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council has created this guidance to set out our responsibilities and how the Council provides or changes such facilities. It is intended for Councillors, residents and businesses to set out the Councils requirements and restrictions in provision of such facilities and at the locations the Council views as the most suitable. The guidance is based on the Councils Design Guide & Specification Residential and Industrial Estates Development at
and the guidance that was available on the Directgov website which was replaced by GOV.UK website on 17 October 2012. The guidance has now been archived and is available at

Applying for a dropped kerb
A crossing across a public footpath or verge for your vehicle to gain access to your property from the highway is known as a 'dropped kerb', pavement crossing, crossover or vehicle crossing. It must be built to specific standards and approved by the council with a limit of one access per property. In some cases planning permission is also required, see below.

Council powers

The Council, acting as the Highway Authority, is responsible for maintaining footpaths. It is illegal to build a crossing over a public footpath without a certified crossing or dropped kerb. This is to ensure that the crossing is strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle and does not create a hazard for pedestrians and other footpath and road users. The Council has the power to close or remove a vehicle crossing or dropped kerb if it has been constructed without permission.

Considerations to take into account

There are a number of points to consider before you make your application:
Planning permission
You may require planning permission for the formation and construction of a means of access to a highway.

You may also need planning permission if the proposal also includes the installation or replacement of a hard surface on your property. For more information contact 01642 774774 and ask for Development Management, or go to or

Parking within your property
Your application for a crossing will not be approved unless you can provide a suitable parking area within your property. No part of a vehicle parked within your property may project onto or over the carriageway, footway or verge. There must also be enough space around this area for pedestrian access.
If these criteria are not met, approval may not be given and will be subject to a site inspection by a Highway Inspector. The Highway Inspectors decision is final.

Types of vehicles permitted
A domestic vehicle crossing may only be used by a private light goods or similar vehicle. It may not be used by heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment. If a delivery, such as a skip, is made to the property, and in doing so the delivery damages the crossing, any repairs will be the responsibility of the occupier.

The size of the crossing
The minimum width of a standard crossing is 2.7 metres with a transition kerb at either side. The width of the crossing should be increased in line with the width of the drive, to a maximum of
5m. Crossings that cover the full frontage of the property are not allowed.

Where two properties share a driveway, and both occupiers wish to build a double width crossing to serve the two sites, one occupier should act on behalf of both parties.

Alterations to an existing crossing
Any alterations to an existing crossing e.g. widening or changing the design will be subject to the criteria above and will be at the homeowners expense.

Making an application
You can make an application to the Council who will usually carry out the work and charge you for the costs. You may use a private contractor, however they will be required to meet strict legal requirements. Contact 01642 774774 for more information or to request a quote.


This guidance will be subject to revision as the Council considers necessary from time to time.

Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Roads & Travel

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search