Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance is money to help you pay your rent. If you have a low income you may be able to claim Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance.

Council Tax Support is money to help you pay your council tax.

How do I claim?
If you want to claim benefit or support you can download a form, or you can telephone us 01642 774 774 and we will send you form.
To download a form please scroll to the bottom of the page.

benefits calculator You can use this calculator to get an estimate as to whether you may qualify for some assistance

Important- Housing Benefit changes effective from 1 July 2013

Welfare Reform - Benefit Cap
The government introduced a limit to the total amount of benefits that couples, lone parents and single people receive, based on an average income of a working household. This means that the maximum weekly benefit will be capped at £350 for a childless single household, and £500 for a couple or a lone parent.

The Benefit Cap will be introduced in the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland by the end of September 2013.

The benefit cap will not apply to the following residents:

  • Single people or couples who are of pension age
  • Households where one or more members receive Working Tax Credit
  • Households where at least one member receives Disability Living Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Industrial Injuries Benefits or Employment and Support Allowance, if paid with the support component
  • Households where one member receives War Widow's or War Widower's Pension
What benefits count towards the cap?
The cap will apply to the total income a household receives from:
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Child Benefit
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (except where paid with support) component
  • Guardians Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parents / Mothers Allowance
  • Widows Pension
How will the cap be applied?
If you get more benefits than the maximum entitlement, then the cap will be applied through deductions from Housing Benefit payments. This means that you will need to make up the shortfall in the rent yourself.

How much will I lose?
Find out how the benefit cap will affect you personally by using the benefit cap calculator. Visit Benefit cap calculator

Where can I get more information?
You can contact the Government's Benefit Cap helpline number on 0845 605 7064.

Housing Benefit changes effective from 1 April 2013
With effect from 1 April 2013 Housing Benefit will change for tenants living in social sector housing e.g. Housing Association properties and properties provided by Registered Social Landlords.
Tenants who have more bedrooms than their family need will be considered to be 'under-occupied' and Housing Benefit entitlement will be affected.

If, under these new rules, it is decided that you have more bedrooms than are necessary for your household your Housing Benefit will be reduced by:
  • 14% if you have 1 extra bedroom
  • 25% if you have 2 or more extra bedrooms

Please note, these changes will not affect tenants who are of state pension credit age or above.

If you are getting, or thinking of claiming Housing Benefit, or thinking of moving home, you need to consider this change before you renew or make a new tenancy agreement.

Further information regarding 'under-occupation' changes (also known as 'The Bedroom Tax') is available on the following link.

Housing Benefit under-occupation changes leaflet

Council Tax Support is money to help you pay your council tax. If you have a low income you may be able to claim Council Tax Support .

Important changes to Council Tax Support effective 1 April 2013

Council Tax Support (formerly known as Council Tax Benefit) will change with effect from 1 April 2013 for working age customers. The definition of a working age customer
is anyone below state pension credit age.

The maximum council tax support available for working age customers will be 80% of their council tax liability . This means that everyone will have to pay some council tax.

The Council has made other changes to its Council Tax Support scheme from April. These are as follows:
  • Second adult rebate will be abolished for working age customers
  • Backdating of entitlement, will be limited to 3 months, however the requirement to show 'good cause' has been removed.

How much benefit or support will I receive?
When we work out the amount of benefit that you will get, we will look at who lives in your household, the amount of money that your household receives and the amount of capital that you have.

You will not be able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you have more than £16,000 in savings or capital.

Council Tax Support claim forms will be available for download with effect from 25 March 2013

 icon Claim form notes.pdf (398.91k)
Last modified: 26/03/2013 09:44:18

 icon Changes in Circumstances form.pdf (374.76k)
Last modified: 26/03/2013 09:44:18

* Link will open in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Page Section:
Council Tax & Benefits

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
Council Tax, Benefits and Advice
Discretionary Housing Payments
Council Tax, Benefits and Advice
Council Tax, Benefits and Advice