Trade/Commercial Waste

1.   How can I contact the Council regarding my trade waste collection?

Use our online Trade Waste form to report missed collections, damaged/vandalised bins or request a new contract.
2.   What is waste?

It can be anything you own, or your business produces and you want to get rid of.

3.   What is controlled waste?
  • It is household, commercial or industrial waste.
  • It can be from a house, school, hospital, residential home, shop, office, factory or any other trade or business. It may be solid, liquid, scrap metal.
  • It does not have to be hazardous or toxic to be controlled waste.
4.   What are the changes to hazardous waste criteria?
Relevant to Businesses who produce, handle, store, treat or dispose of waste which has hazardous properties.
Took effect on 16 July 2005.

From 16 July 2005, in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, new Hazardous Waste Regulations replaced the Special Waste Regulations 1996.

This means that some waste not previously classified as hazardous now comes under the revised legislation and more businesses are affected by hazardous waste controls.

Hazardous waste includes:

  • asbestos
  • lead-acid batteries
  • solvent-based inks and paints
  • fluorescent light tubes
  • electrical equipment containing hazardous components such as cathode ray tubes, eg televisions
  • some prescription medicines
  • acids

In England and Wales, if your business is a hazardous waste producer you may need to register your premises annually with the Environment Agency. Some businesses that produce less than 200kg of hazardous waste per year will be exempt from registering. This replaces the need to pre-notify the Environment Agency of hazardous waste movements.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, pre-notification has not been replaced by annual registration.

Scotland has retained the special waste regime, although "special waste" now means the same as hazardous waste.

You can download a guide to hazardous waste regulations from the Defra Website.
5.   How do I know what I should do?

The law says you must take all reasonable steps to stop waste escaping from your control. You must store it safely and securely. You must prevent it causing pollution or harming anyone.

When you have waste:

  • you must make it secure. Keep it in a suitable container
  • if you give waste to someone else, check they have the authority to take it. The law states the person you give your waste to, must be authorised to take it.
  • you must describe the waste you want to dispose of.

For further advice, information on disposal of commercial waste, bin types, cost etc, contact our call centre on 01642 774 774, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

† Link leads to a website which is not under our control. We are not responsible for the content of any linked site. The link opens in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Bins & Recycling

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search