The Principles of the System that Supports Children and Young People with SEND

The main principles you need to keep in mind when thinking about your childs needs are:
  • all children have the right to an education that enables them to make progress so that they achieve their best, become confident individuals and live fulfilling lives and move successfully towards adulthood, whether thats into work, training or further/higher education;
  • all children and young people with SEN should have their needs met, whether they are in early years settings, such as a nursery or child-minder, a school or a college;
  • the Local Authority must listen to and have regard for the wishes and feelings of your child and those of your family, must help you and your child to share as fully as possible in decisions that affect you and to offer you and your child support that will help your child do well educationally and prepare for adulthood;
  • parents and carers must be given access to impartial information advice and support and know how to challenge decisions they disagree with;
  • the Local Authority must involve children and their families and young people in developing local services to support those with SEND, including the Local Offer;
  • all services providing help for your child (such as health, social care and education services) must work together to benefit your child.
(Chapter 1 of the governments SEND Code of Practice: 0-25 years contains some further information on this section)

For further information relating to SEND please go to the People's Information Network website

Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Schools & Learning
, Resident
Schools & Learning

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
What does ‘Special Educational needs and/or Disabilities’ Mean?
The Law and You and Your Child’s Rights
Special Educational Needs (SEN) Service
Special Educational Needs (SEN) Service