Homelessness Advice and Information FAQ's

1. What should I do if I need housing advice or help to find a place to live?

If you want advice on finding a home or you are experiencing difficulties in keeping your current home e.g. if you have rent arrears or you have been served with a notice to quit, you should speak with our Housing Advice & Information Service. You can contact them on (01287) 612444 or via e-mail: housing_clientservices@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk

Appointments may be arranged on:
Tuesday and Thursdays 9am to 3pm

Officers are also available for home visits. Should you require any further information please contact us (details shown above).
Remember; get advice as soon as you think you may have to leave your present home. The Council may be able to help you keep your home, but even if you should become homeless, the sooner you contact us the better.

2. What should I do if I become homeless in an emergency/outside office hours?

Contact the emergency out of hours number which is (01642) 771300.

3. How long will I have to wait for a Council house?

The Council does not own any houses they were all transferred to a Registered Provider, Coast & Country, in 2002.

If you need a home and you meet the legal requirements which mean the Council has to find you a home, the Council applies to all Registered Providers who have houses in this area. The wait for Registered Provider houses is often long. Currently, you will have to wait approximately:
  • 3 years for a 1 bedroom flat in Redcar.
  • 1 year + for a 2/3 bedroom house in Skelton.
It's not all bad news though, we can find you a home quickly using private landlords. This also means you will have greater choice over the location/area you wish to live.

If you want advice and/or assistance to find a permanent home please contact us on (01287) 612444 or via e-mail: housing_clientservices@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk

4. What do I do if my property needs some repairs doing to it?

You will need to contact your landlord and request them to do the repairs as soon as possible. If your landlord refuses to do the repairs you can contact Housing Standards Team on telephone (01287) 612455 or (01642) 774774 or via e-mail at housing_eho@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk.

They will provide advice and inspect the property. If it is felt that the repairs are required, they will contact the landlord on your behalf to enforce action.

5. What do I do if I am being harassed?

The first agency to contact is the Police. You should also contact the Council's Housing Standards Team or email: housing_eho@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk. Harassment is a criminal issue and if the harassment is to be considered as serious; the Police will need to be involved.

If you are a Coast & Country tenant or a tenant of another Registered Provider you should also contact them to complete a neighbour complaint form. Harassment against any person is a breach of their tenancy agreement and therefore the landlord can take appropriate action.

If you are a tenant of a private landlord, you should notify the landlord of the harassment. It is also advisable to contact the Council's Housing Standards Team or email:housing_eho@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk and the Community Safety Team within Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council on telephone (08456) 126126.
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Housing & Property

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search