Short Breaks for Disabled Children

What is a short break?
A short break is an opportunity for children and young people to spend time away from their parents and carers. It provides parents and carers with a break from their caring responsibilities, using the time to enjoy leisure activities, spend time with other family members, catch up with tasks around their home, or to simply relax and recharge their batteries. Short break services benefit both parents, carers and their children promoting the childs personal and social development.
A short break could be a couple of hours each week or an overnight stay, and could take place in the local community, in the childs home or in a residential setting.

There are a range of community based short breaks that families caring for a disabled child can access by referring themselves for support. These community-based short breaks are short, regular sessions that provide the carer with a break after school, at weekends and during school holidays. They take the form of clubs that offer a wide range of activities for children such as sport and physical activity, arts and crafts, specific hobbies or simply a place to meet with friends and chat. They are also designed to support childrens personal and social development in an enjoyable environment, and, as children get older, to promote independence and life skills such as cooking. Any disabled child can access these breaks without a social worker referral

There are a range of Targeted Short Breaks that are individually tailored to the childs needs. Sometimes a disabled childs needs cannot be met by community based short breaks, but do not require a specialist or long term service or a support from a dedicated social worker. These families may benefit from an additional short-term service that is targeted towards achieving a specific outcome. These services will be bespoke, time-limited and focused on a specific goal and can take a variety of forms and will be reviewed regularly to ensure that it is achieving the specified outcomes.
This level of support is available following an Early Help Assessment (EHA) which can be carried out by any professional. Following this assessment the lead practitioner for the EHA will work with the family to identify support that will meet the needs of the child.

Specialist short break services are commissioned specifically for the childs needs, or alternatively a family may choose to take a Personal Budget or Direct Payment to arrange services themselves. For children with complex health needs, services may also be available through the South Tees Clinical Commissioning Group, These services will follow a specialist health assessment which is not arranged by the council but can be discussed with the health professional and social worker involved with the family

The Families' Information Service team can sign-post parents to the community based short-break services, and details of them are found on the Peoples' Information Network website, SEND Local Offer, see link at the bottom of this page.

For additional help to find activities and short breaks for children and young people or for more information about and Early Help Assessment, support can be given by the Disabled Children's Access Officer who works within the Families Information Service team
You can contact the Disabled Childrens Access Officer on free-phone 0800 0738800, or email for further information or advice about short break services for your children.

People's Information Network Local Offer Short Breaks

You can contact the FIS on free-phone 0800 0738800 for further information or advice about short break services for your children.

Also see: Short Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children

Download Attachments:
.pdf fileShort Breaks Statement 2015-16.pdf (696k)

Last modified: 02/02/2016 12:01:38

Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Adult, Children & Health

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
FIS Publications
Directory of Services
Families' Information Service
Families' Information Service