Events & Activities
Are you running an event
that’s based in the borough


SUBMIT EVENT

The De Brus Cenotaph in Guisborough

In a corner of St Nicholas Church is a medieval masterpiece a huge chunk of ornately carved Egglestone marble called the De Brus Cenotaph, later used as an altar in the church.
The great knights of England and Scotland are carved on either side.

One end's missing, but a drawing in an ancient book shows it depicting King Robert the Bruce, whose family lived at Skelton Castle.
The other end turned up at Hardwick Hall, Sedgefield, which also has De Brus connections and fitted perfectly onto the monument.
The 15ft long by four feet monument is believed to have been made in 1520 and given to the Priory by Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scotland and sister of Henry VIII, as a gesture of reconciliation after years of war between England and Scotland.

There are coats of arms, bishops and many other carvings.

Bookmark and Share
Tags
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?
SUBMIT TAG
Last updated:
21/01/2016

Assigned review date:
11/08/2016

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team


Page Section:
Visit
About the area

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search