Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council logo
Redcar & Cleveland
Borough Council

High Hedge complaints

Part 8 of the Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003, gave Local Authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges, and came into force on 1 June 2005. Since then, provided you have tried mediation and exhausted all other possibilities for resolving your hedge dispute, you are able to apply to the Council for them to consider the complaint.

Contacting the Local Planning Authority (LPA) should be seen as a last resort where all other means of negotiation have been unsuccessful. The LPA cannot negoiate with either party or mediate between the parties. Instead, it has to decide whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property. In doing so, the LPA will carry out an assessment of the hedge, its height, its position in relation to the complainant's property, orientation, etc, in line with the criteria set out in the legislation.

PLEASE NOTE: You can find details of our Privacy Notice here.

Please note:

ODPM leaflet: High Hedges - Complaining to the Council:

 icon High_hedges-Complaining_to_the_council.pdf (394.86k)

Application form and guidance notes:

 icon Hedges_Form.pdf (35.09k)

 icon Hedges_Guidance_Notes.pdf (64.35k)

2018 © Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Please visit our website: