Planning Appeals

If you, as the applicant, are aggrieved by the decision of your local planning authority to refuse permission for the proposed development or to grant it subject to conditions, then you can appeal to the Secretary of State under Section 78 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. Whilst applicants have the right to submit an appeal, there are no rights of appeal for third parties.

Appeals are intended as a last resort and they can take several months to decide. It is often quicker to discuss with the Council whether changes to your proposal would make it more acceptable.

If you want to appeal, then you must do so within the requisite time period as indicated on the information supplied with the decision notice using a form which you can get from The Planning Inspectorate at Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6PN Tel: 0303 444 00 00.

For further details of the Householder Appeal Service (HAS), and how to make your appeal, please see the link below.

The following information leaflets published by the Planning Inspectorate are available to download:
Planning appeals (commenting on someone elses appeal): Enforcement appeals: Appeals Register:
The appeals register contains records of planning applications where an appeal has been lodged. Useful links:

† Link leads to a website which is not under our control. We are not responsible for the content of any linked site. The link opens in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Planning & Building

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
Minor Amendments/Non-Material Amendments - Guidance
Planning Enforcement
Planning Permission
Planning Permission