Governance Committee: 2017-18
|Vice Chair:||Carole Morgan|
|Committee Membership:||Bill Clarke, Michael Dick, Cliff Foggo, Chris Foley-McCormack, Ray Goddard, Shelagh Holyoake, Carole Morgan, Glyn Nightingale, Bob Norton, Stuart Smith, Dennis Teasdale|
1. To undertake the following functions relating to standards of conduct
· Promotes and maintains high standards of conduct by councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives
· Assists the councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives to observe the Members’ Code of Conduct
· Advises the Council on the adoption or revision of the Members’ Code of Conduct
· Monitors the operation of the Members’ Code of Conduct
· Advises, trains or arranges to train councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives on matters relating to the Members’ Code of Conduct
· Grants dispensations to councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives from requirements relating to interests set out in the Members’ Code of Conduct
· Deals with any reports from the monitoring officer on any matter which is referred to it.
· Oversees the constitution (in consultation with the Cabinet and Overview and Scrutiny Committees)
· Has all the powers of the Authority to determine appeals or complaints against decisions made by the Cabinet, a Committee or Panel of the Authority where the Council’s policies or procedures or legislation (as the case may be) provide a right of appeal or complaint except where the matter is the responsibility of some other body or person(s) as provided for in the Constitution.
2. To undertake the following functions relating to audit:
· Ensures that external regulatory and inspection reports are distributed, reviewed, monitored and actioned.
· Is responsible for ensuring good stewardship of the authority’s resources.
· Manages any legislative requirements arising from the Government’s proposals to establish an ethical framework for local government, which will include monitoring and implementation of principles of conduct for local councillors, rules for dealing with members’ interest, rules for dealing with registration and acceptance of gifts and hospitality.
· Enhances the profile, status and authority of the internal audit function and demonstrate its independence.
· Contributes towards making the authority, its committees and departments more responsive to the audit function.
· Is charged with the responsibility for promoting internal control by the systematic appraisal of the authority’s internal control mechanisms, by the development of an anti-fraud culture and by the review of financial procedures.
· Is charged with the responsibility for focussing audit resources, by agreeing with the audit plans and monitoring delivery of the audit service.
· Monitors both internal and external audit performance by ensuring auditor/officer collaboration within the agreed timescales, by securing the timely preparation and response to audit reports, by ensuring the implementation of audit recommendations and by monitoring the finalisation of the annual accounts.
· Reviews compliance with the relevant standards, codes of practice and corporate governance policies.
· Reviews and monitors the arrangements for the identification, monitoring and control of strategic and operational risk within the authority.
Meetings of this committee:
Papers of meeting on 21/11/2017 at 10:00
Papers of meeting on 26/9/2017 at 10:00
Papers of meeting on 25/7/2017 at 10:00
Papers of meeting on 31/5/2017 at 10:00
Select a committee type:
- Adults & Communities Scrutiny and Improvement Committee
- Borough Council
- Children & Families Scrutiny and Improvement Committee
- Economic Growth Scrutiny and Improvement Committee
- Governance Committee
- Health and Wellbeing Board
- Personnel and General Purposes Committee
- Regulatory Committee
- Resources Scrutiny and Improvement Committee
Papers from other years:
- May 2016 - April 2017 papers
- May 2015 - April 2016 papers
- May 2014 - April 2015 papers
- May 2013 - April 2014 papers
- May 2012 - April 2013 papers
- May 2011 - April 2012 papers
- May 2010 - April 2011 papers
- May 2009 - April 2010 papers
- May 2008 - April 2009 papers
- May 2007 - April 2008 papers
- May 2006 - April 2007 papers
- May 2005 - April 2006 papers